It's About Time
Organizing Express gets final check
Was this the year you were finally going to get organized? In January I invited those of you who were serious about getting organized to hop aboard my Organizing Express.
Twice a month I've shared tips, techniques and action steps to move you toward your goal.
As I complete a recap of this year's columns, let's see how far you've traveled.
1. In September I encouraged you to increase your effectiveness by using the 80/20 Rule, also known as the Pareto Principle. This great imbalance of the "significant few versus the trivial many" is practically a universal principle that has applications in business and personal life. Whether it's a messy desk where 80 percent of what's there needn't be, and just 20 percent are action items, or bulging files where 80 percent of the time only 20 percent of files are retrieved, I encouraged you to discover how many ways the 80/20 Rule applies to your life. How many applications did you find?
2. I also echoed author Richard Koch's statement that "the few things that work fantastically well should be identified, cultivated, nurtured and multiplied. At the same time, the waste -- the majority of things that will always prove to be of low value to man and beast -- should be abandoned or severely cut back." Have you begun to identify what's really important, in order to maximize your time, effort and enjoyment?
3. In October I cautioned you not to put off doing important things, just in case the unexpected happens and you are temporarily indisposed. Have you been keeping current with tasks and relationships? Are you better prepared for the unexpected?
4. For those who have a backlog of things to do, I shared how the simple act of identifying how long a task will take can help you to take action and get them done. Identifying those "minitasks" helps to look at tasks objectively and see them as doable. Have you made a list of tasks that have lingered too long and identified those that are minitasks? Did you get them done?
5. In November I encouraged you to begin to clear out the clutter to prepare for the holidays. Using S-H-O-V-E-L O-U-T as an acronym, I gave nine practical steps to de-clutter and create space for incoming holiday gifts. At work and at home, have you shoveled out from under all your excess? Are you ready for the holidays?
How far have you traveled on the Organizing Express? If you've stayed on board, you're on your way to creating the home and life you've always wanted. If you fell off, take heart, for the ticket never expires and you're welcome to hop aboard any time!
See you next year!
"It's About Time," by Ruth Wong, owner of Organization Plus, runs the fourth Friday of each month. Contact her at "It's About Time," care of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 7 Waterfront Plaza, Suite 210, Honolulu 96813; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org