For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Eligible vets can get
chiropractic treatment

Question: Can Department of Veterans Affairs patients receive chiropractic care?

Answer: Eligible veterans in the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System will be able to receive chiropractic care through VA's outpatient fee-basis program after a referral by their primary care provider, and prior authorization by the department. For further information on chiropractic care, contact the VA at 433-0604.

Q: I purchased a home with a VA loan and now wish to sell it. Can I be released from the liability to the VA?

A: When a veteran sells a home financed through a VA guaranty to a purchaser who assumes the loan, the veteran may request release from liability to the federal government provided the loan is current, the purchaser has been obligated by contract to purchase the property and assume all of the veteran's liabilities, and VA is satisfied that the purchaser is a good risk. A release from liability does not mean that a veteran's guaranty entitlement is restored. If the purchaser is another veteran and agrees to substitute entitlement for that of the veteran-seller, entitlement may be restored to the veteran-seller. A VA loan for which a commitment was made on or after March 1, 1988, is not assumable without approval of VA or its authorized agent. The person who assumes a VA loan for which a commitment was made on or after March 1, 1988, must pay a fee to the VA. If a person disposes of the property securing a VA-guaranteed loan for which a commitment was made after March 1, 1988, without first notifying the holder of the loan, the holder may demand immediate and full payment of the loan. Veterans whose loans were closed after Dec. 31, 1989, have no liability to the government following a foreclosure, except in cases involving fraud, misrepresentation or bad faith. For more information on home loans, call the VA at 1-800-827-1000.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran, call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049 or visit the VA Web site at www.va.gov/hawaii or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin, can be reached by phone at 294-4075 or by e-mail at gkakesako@starbulletin.com.

See also: In The Military

E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com