Star-Bulletin staff and wire

Saturday, December 4, 2004

UH warrior mascot sues cultural center

The man who plays the University of Hawaii football team's Polynesian warrior mascot has filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer, the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Viliami Fehoko, known as UH mascot Vili the Warrior, claims he was fired from the popular Windward Oahu tourist attraction because of his Tongan ancestry by managers of Samoan ancestry.

Fehoko was informed on Aug. 2, 2002, by John Muaina, human resources director for the cultural center, that he was being terminated because he had beaten up, assaulted and threatened another man at the center several days earlier, according to the lawsuit filed Nov. 19 in Circuit Court.

Muaina declined to comment on the lawsuit, saying he had not had a chance to review it.

Fehoko, who is acting as his own attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Box jellyfish influx should end Tuesday

An influx of box jellyfish is expected for Waikiki and other areas tomorrow and Monday, according to the Ocean Safety Division.

The monthly influx should end Tuesday, the agency said.

Areas most likely to be affected are Waikiki Beach, especially in the "pond" areas Ewa of the Kapahulu groin, and Hanauma Bay, Pokai Bay, Makaha Surfing Beach and Waimea Bay.

Other North and West Shore beaches also could be infested. Lifeguards will post warning signs.

People stung by box jellyfish are advised to flush the area with large amounts of white vinegar. Breathing difficulty, muscle cramps or spasms, or persistent pain call for immediate medical treatment.


» Keahi Birch, manager of Matson Navigation Co.'s Environmental Affairs division, presented a check for $1,400 to Tedra Villaroz of Joey's Feline Friends. The money was raised by Matson employees to pay for quarantine fees for Matson, a kitten that survived after being trapped for 10 days inside a Matson container. Villaroz helped save the cat's life after it was discovered.

Keahi Birch holds Matson, a kitten trapped in a Matson container for 10 days this fall, while giving a $1,400 check to Tedra Villaroz of Joey's Feline Friends.

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff

Woman is abused while in captivity

Big Island police say a 24-year-old man held a woman prisoner in Puna for six weeks and repeatedly abused her physically and sexually.

The suspect, identified as Ernest Horcajo III, was charged yesterday with attempted murder, kidnapping, two counts of second-degree assault and four counts of first-degree sex assault. Horcajo, who also had several previous warrants issued against him, is being held at the Hawaii Community Correctional Center in lieu of $104,000 bail.

The charges stemmed from an investigation begun by Puna patrol officers on Wednesday after another woman brought the victim from an Ainaloa Estates residence to the Pahoa police substation.

The victim had numerous fractures and internal injuries and was bruised over most of her body after apparently being struck repeatedly with different objects.

Fire rescue personnel took her to the Hilo Medical Center, where she was last reported in stable condition.

After talking to the victim, Puna police initiated a manhunt for the suspect, which included the use of a police helicopter. Officers eventually cornered him in a vacant lot in the Hawaiian Paradise Park subdivision and arrested him.

An investigation by East Hawaii Juvenile Aid detectives determined that the victim had been held prisoner and repeatedly abused from mid-October until she was rescued Wednesday.

Man allegedly points gun at older brother

Police arrested a 30-year-old Kalihi man after he allegedly pointed a gun at his older brother Thursday.

Police said the incident took place at about 7:15 p.m., where both men live together at an Austin Lane address.

The victim, 45, was sleeping in his room when the suspect came in, and both men began to argue, according to police.

At some point the victim told the suspect to leave his room and let him sleep. The suspect left, only to return with a .22-caliber handgun, which he pointed at his brother, telling him he was going to shoot him, police said.

Police arrested the suspect for terroristic threatening and domestic abuse.

Fire destroys house abandoned in Waianae

Fire investigators are looking into the cause of a fire in Waianae yesterday afternoon that destroyed an abandoned house at 4758 Halalei St.

The fire caused about $80,500 damage to the structure and contents. It was reported at 3:35 p.m. and was under control about 10 minutes later, said fire Capt. Kenison Tejada.

The home was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.

Tejada said witnesses told investigators that someone was seen running from the structure just before it went up in flames.

E-mail to City Desk


© Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com