Friday, November 12, 2004


U.S. Marines arrested Iraqis yesterday in the center of Fallujah as allied control of the area tightened.

Urban combat
sheds light on
Iraqi militants’ tactics

FALLUJAH, Iraq » After three days of measurable progress, American forces trying to take full control of Fallujah are confronting an insurgent force that has renewed energy.

And as American and Iraqi forces spread their grip across the city, the constant skirmishes of close urban combat and burst-in searches door to door are revealing more about insurgent tactics, including sleeper cells.

Last night, forces braced for a significant counteroffensive by Iraqi rebels -- an effort coinciding with the "Night of Power," an annual Islamic holy day marked by intense spiritual devotion, which is said to cleanse sins and determine destiny.

Loudspeakers from at least one mosque began what U.S. Marine officers said was a "revving up" of militants by chants that resembled the "martyr's last rites."

"We expect an increase of suicide attacks by cars, motorcycles and people wearing explosive vests," said Lt. Col. Michael Ramos, commander of the 1st Battalion, 3rd Marines, based in Kaneohe.

"It's going to get a lot worse tonight," Capt. Gil Juarez, commander of the Light Armored Reconnaissance (LAR) company told his platoon chiefs as Marines loaded their vehicles at dusk with extra ammunition.

"I think there's going to be a big fight tonight, so get your heads ready to get back in the game," said Juarez, from San Diego. "These (insurgents) are pushing the offensive right now. We've got to get ready."

Despite a day of steady U.S. tank and artillery fire that rumbled across Fallujah like a thunderstorm ready to pour, insurgents began their work.

One armored unit was ambushed in the south center of the city by militants who struck with rocket-propelled grenades. Separately, another vehicle was hit with gunfire, wounding a Marine.

Those involved in the ambush said a trap had been laid and that the area was marked with earth berms in defensive posture, and metal-box firing positions. Shortly after the firefight, U.S.-fired artillery rounds crashed into the area.

"They have been working on it, an L-shaped ambush," said one corporal, whose face was blackened by smoke from the attack. "It looks like something out of Mad Maxx."

"We walked right into a hornet's nest today," said a sergeant with the worn look of a survivor. Their names and units involved could not be released, in line with military rules that prevent such details until the wounded's next of kin have been notified. "They were probing us and fired six RPGs before we went for it. They lassoed us right in."

In the course of locating seven weapons caches in a single block around a mosque in northeast Fallujah, an Iraqi platoon found a suitcase Wednesday full of vials labeled "Sarin," a deadly nerve agent.

While further analysis determined that the find was probably part of a Soviet test kit with samples, its discovery in a room with mortar shells appeared to indicate an intent to weaponize the material.

On the eve of the U.S.-Iraqi assault on Fallujah, insurgent leaders in the city promised a massive counterattack.

Until late yesterday, resistance in Fallujah had been piecemeal, with individual rocket, mortar and rifle teams making surprise attacks. U.S. heavy artillery, tank guns and airstrikes have waged steady barrages, paving the way for Marine infantry advances.

U.S. military leaders have deemed the effort in Fallujah a success so far. In three days of fighting, coalition units have swept across more than half the city, sustaining relatively few casualties.

But last night, casualties appeared to mount. Coalition forces have been targeted from mosques. They have uncovered unarmed sleeper cells that they believe have been seeded throughout the city and primed to strike after the initial assault.

Mosques were used by militants when Marines first attempted to invade the city last April. They were sometimes targeted by U.S. forces, adding to the international outcry that grew at the time about civilian casualties.

This time, Iraqi nationalists and Islamic militants loyal to the network of al-Qaida affiliate Abu Musab al-Zarqawi might have been depending on mosques as staging areas, U.S. officers say.

"Almost every single mosque we've come through has been used for weapons storage and insurgent military training," Ramos said.

Marines have shot at the speakers of minarets, which are normally used for the Muslim call to prayer, though in recent days they have served as a literal call to arms.

Before the assault began, U.S. intelligence officers warned of unarmed Iraqis wearing dishdashas (traditional long gowns worn by men) moving to U.S. lines and reporting back to guerrilla cells.

Instead, Marines have found that small groups of unarmed men, claiming to have stayed behind to prevent looting of their house, could in fact be sleeper cells, waiting for orders to link up with pre-positioned weapons and attack.

One example Wednesday was a group of four men, found in their house by the LAR Raider Platoon during a search. They said they had recently been caught by the mujahedeen, or holy warriors of the resistance, and been tortured.

Later that day and several blocks away, Raider Scouts searching other buildings found four more men. They also said they stayed behind to guard their houses and that they had been tortured.

But further questioning found that there were no signs of torture -- militants in Fallujah typically kill suspected traitors -- and that the men's claimed identities did not hold up to investigation.

"It was well rehearsed," said Lt. Michael Aubry, from Arlington Heights, Ill. "The first time didn't look suspicious, but the second time ... it did."

1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment
Marine Corps Base Hawaii


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com