— ADVERTISEMENT —
Starbulletin.com

Saturday, October 30, 2004



art
CRAIG T. KOJIMA / CKOJIMA@STARBULLETIN.COM
Mufi Hannemann shook hands with Duke Bainum at the PBS studios in Manoa on Oct. 19. The program was moderated by Tina Shelton. Both candidates say they do not know who is responsible for making fake automated telephone calls to voters.


Lingle says endorsement
bogus

An automated phone recording
supporting Duke Bainum is not
of her, the gov insists

Voters are receiving fake automated, recorded telephone calls that purport to be from Gov. Linda Lingle endorsing Duke Bainum for mayor, the governor said yesterday.

Candidates make their final pushes

Mayoral candidates Mufi Hannemann and Duke Bainum will be interviewed by KSSK radio's Michael W. Perry and Larry Price at John Dominis restaurant beginning at 8:45 a.m. today.

It's the final joint appearance for the two mayoral candidates.

After the interviews, Hannemann will board a trolley that will take him to Leeward Oahu, and Bainum will move on to the Aloha Cat Fanciers cat show at McCoy Pavilion at Ala Moana Park.

"If that's been out, that's simply not true. There is no call going out from me or from anyone connected with me," Lingle said.

Bainum said his campaign is not making the calls and he decried the calls as "dirty politics" and a last-minute smear.

Bainum's opponent, Mufi Hannemann, said he doesn't know who's making the calls, either.

"This is a blatant attempt to mislead the public. Whoever is doing it should stop it, cease and desist," Hannemann said.

Lingle said she has stayed out of the mayor's race because she has to work with the winner.

"I decided early on that it would be in the best interest of the state for me not to become involved in that race because this way I have the best chance of working in a very cooperative fashion with whoever wins," she said. "I just felt from the very beginning it would be better to stay out of it; so I don't know anything about this."

Hannemann said that earlier this week his campaign began hearing from supporters who received the calls at their homes. "It's been happening with greater frequency every evening," Hannemann said.

Hannemann said he is concerned because the calls could affect undecided voters.

"I think that could be quite convincing. Someone who is supportive of the governor could be easily swayed, especially if they think that is the governor on the other line," Hannemann said.

A Hannemann supporter said the calls did sound like the governor, although she erased the message on her voicemail before listening to the entire recording.

The caller reportedly said something to this effect: "Aloha, this is Gov. Linda Lingle on behalf of the Republican Party. Vote for Duke Bainum."

Hannemann said that after he heard about the calls, he called Lingle's chief of staff, Bob Awana, to ask if the governor made the calls.

"He said very clearly that this is not a call that they're making," Hannemann said.

Awana said one of Hannemann's campaign managers first called him concerned about the calls, and then he received a call from Hannemann when the calls continued.

The governor is "very focused on (state) House races and has not made these calls and doesn't intend to make these calls," Awana said.


Star-Bulletin reporter Richard Borreca contributed to this report.

Duke Bainum campaign
www.dukebainum.com
Mufi Hannemann campaign
www.votemufi.com
— ADVERTISEMENTS —


— ADVERTISEMENTS —


| | | PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION
E-mail to City Desk

BACK TO TOP


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com


-Advertisement-