Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Police remember officer
killed in crash as kind

Issac "Ike" Veal died Monday night
after losing control of his SUV
while responding to a call

Officer Issac "Ike" Veal had a sunny disposition and an outstanding reputation during his 25 years with the Honolulu Police Department, his fellow officers said yesterday.


Issac Veal: Police officer was ejected from his vehicle and died at the scene

Veal was killed while on duty Monday night as he was responding to a police call in Mililani. Police said as Veal headed southbound on the H-2 freeway, he lost control of his sport utility vehicle about two-tenths of a mile past the Leilehua Golf Course Road onramp.

Traffic investigators said as Veal's SUV was traveling on H-2, he veered left and drove along the grassy median.

When Veal tried to get back on the freeway, investigators said, he crossed over to the opposite side and hit a concrete barrier, then flipped several times.

Emergency crews said Veal was ejected from his vehicle and died at the scene.

Veal is survived by his wife, two adult sons and two adult daughters. He was 58.

"Officer Veal's personnel file contains numerous thank yous from stranded motorists, burglary and theft victims, as well as others," said acting Chief Glen Kajiyama. "They described him as kind, caring, helpful and sincere.

"Our sympathy and condolences go out to officer Veal's family for their sudden and tragic loss."

Veal was responding to a call about 10 to 15 people fighting in Mililani, but Kajiyama said there was no fight.

Police did not say if the call was a mistake or if it originally had been an emergency that fizzled out.

Though Veal was ejected from his vehicle, a subsidized Dodge Durango, it is not clear whether he was wearing a safety belt, police said.

During the initial investigation into Veal's death Monday night, police closed all southbound lanes from H-2 freeway between Mililani and Wahiawa from 9:21 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.

Traffic investigators said excessive speed may have been a factor in Veal's death. Though police said Veal appeared to have turned on his blue police lights, it is not clear whether his siren was in use.

Monday night's fatality was the 44th traffic death this year on Oahu.

Veal is HPD's 39th police officer to die in the line of duty.

Kajiyama said he and Veal joined the department about the same time. Veal started out as a patrol officer and later became a solo bike officer before going back to patrol district 2 -- Wahiawa and the North Shore -- in 1999.

"I've known Ike," recalled Kajiyama. "He was able to bring a smile to you even if you were at the lowest of lows.

"He was a dedicated and well-liked officer and he was very much respected by his peers and supervisors ... He will be missed by myself and the rest of the department."

Services are pending.

Honolulu Police Department


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com