For Your Benefit
For and about Hawaii's military

Sunday, June 6, 2004

See also: In The Military

VA will not cover
nonveteran’s part of a loan

Question: Can a veteran join with a nonveteran who is not his or her spouse in obtaining a VA loan?

Answer: Yes, but the guaranty applies only to the veteran's portion of the loan and cannot cover the nonveteran's part of the loan. Consult lenders to determine whether they would be willing to accept applications for joint loans of this type.

Lenders who are willing will likely require a down payment to cover risk on the unguaranteed, nonveteran's portion of the loan. Unlike other loans, the lender must submit joint loans to the VA for approval before they are made.

Both incomes can be used to qualify for the loan. However, the veteran's income must be sufficient to repay at least that portion of the loan related to the veteran's interest in (portion of) the property, and the nonveteran's income adequate to cover the rest.

For more information on home loans, call 433-1000; push 2 for benefits, and then loan guaranty information (#3).

Q: I am planning to move in the near future. Should I inform the VA now or wait until I relocate?

A: If you move and don't inform VA, you may not get your checks or important letters. Be sure to advise your local post office to forward your mail. It will do so for up to a year.

VA is divided into several large departments, and their computers are not yet all talking to each other (they are working on that).

If you call the VA medical center here to change the address for your clinic appointments, never assume that information will get to the regional office to update your monthly compensation check. Contact the medical appointments/enrollment number at 433-0600 and benefits and services number at 433-1000 prior to moving from Hawaii with your new address.

If you have questions about your benefits as a veteran,
call Fred Ballard at the Veterans Affairs at 433-0049
or visit the VA Web site at
or the Star-Bulletin at 529-4747.

Gregg K. Kakesako, who covers military affairs for the Star-Bulletin,
can be reached by phone at 294-4075
or by e-mail at


E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --