Starbulletin.com

Monday, April 5, 2004



[ HAWAII AT WORK ]


art
FL MORRIS / FMORRIS@STARBULLETIN.COM
Tristan Naranjo manages the merchandise at Jackie Chan's restaurant, Jackie's Kitchen, in Ala Moana.


Jackie’s manager
works with plenty of
aloha


As retail manager for the official Jackie Chan merchandise and Jackie's Kitchen logo goods, my division complements and supports the restaurant and bar sides of the business. It's pretty exciting to be part of the management team for Jackie Chan's first restaurant in the United States. I'm a big fan and looking forward to meeting him soon when he comes to Hawaii.

Tristan Naranjo

Title: Logo goods manager

Company: Jackie's Kitchen

Most popular item in inventory: Collectors' edition gift cards

Although the retail store is small in square footage, there are many functions to keep it operating successfully, including inventory, staffing, pricing and sales projections. I have worked in much larger operations, like the Navy Exchange, but the list of duties is the same. I constantly pay attention to what the customers are buying or looking to buy. I am a hands-on manager. I spend about 80 percent of my day on the floor in the retail area. The other 20 percent is paperwork, inventory, management team meetings and working with vendors.

I believe that as a manager you must do what you would expect your sales associates to do. If they are tasked to do some project, I am there doing it with them. If they are given a policy to follow, I do the same. I have learned that if you treat your associates with respect, they will do the same and be a lot more productive.

My Hawaiian heritage and my upbringing from my mother and grandmother taught me to be a loving and caring person, and to never forget the aloha spirit. I bring that into both my personal and professional lives and have found that one can do business with real heart. I believe that's Jackie's philosophy as well, so I know I'm working at the right place.

In addition to the usual retail management duties, as the retail store faces the entrance, I am also a greeter, information center, guest picture-taker and whatever else I'm called upon to do. I love the constant interaction of being on the front lines talking to restaurant guests, answering questions from passers-by, giving people tours and suggesting menu items. I also enjoy taking a big-picture look at how my part of the business is running in relation to how the restaurant as a whole is running.

— ADVERTISEMENTS —
— ADVERTISEMENTS —


| | | PRINTER-FRIENDLY VERSION
E-mail to Business Editor

BACK TO TOP


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]
© 2004 Honolulu Star-Bulletin -- http://archives.starbulletin.com


-Advertisement-