Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Wednesday, March 26, 2003

No traffic light planned
for Nanakuli school

Question: I live in Nanakuli, where a new elementary school is being built on Farrington Highway. There is going to be an entrance to the school off Farrington. What are they going to do about left-hand turns? Is there going to be a traffic light there or are we just going to have to play it by ear like all the other left-hand turns? I hope there is a light.

Answer: There is no plan to install a traffic light at that entrance, but that's because the main entrance to the school will be off Mano Avenue, said Greg Knudsen, spokesman for the state Department of Education.

School buses will be the only ones permitted to use the Farrington Highway entry/exit, he said, and "for that, they will be turning right into the school and when they depart, they also will turn right."

Q: About 4 p.m. one Saturday afternoon, I went to the post office on Merchant and Richards streets to mail a letter. While there I noticed an apparent street person going through the trash cans, taking out letters and mail that people had thrown in the trash. He was putting these in a back pack. I know the people who have mail boxes at the post office often just throw their junk mail, magazines and anything else unwanted in those trash cans. But this junk mail has the potential to have one's identity stolen. Pre-approved credit cards, bills, anything with your name, address, work affiliation, etc. Can the post office remove these trash cans or, at a minimum, make post office box holders aware that people are going through their discarded mail?

A: We passed on your concerns to Lynne Moore, manager of consumer affairs for the U.S. Postal Service in Honolulu.

She didn't know if removing the trash cans would be the solution, but said she would let the manager of the downtown post office know about the potential problem.

Q: I have a student friend from China at the University of Hawaii and would like to know if there is any way for the student to work (part or full time) in Hawaii while trying to finish his master's degree? Any suggestion on how to deal with the immigration matters will be appreciated.

A: According to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, your friend should talk to the UH's "Designated School Official," who is usually the foreign student adviser at a school, for information about employment.

In general, foreign students at an academic institution may be allowed to work on or off campus after the completion of the first year of school, under limited circumstances.

However, foreign students at a vocational school may not accept employment, although they may apply for practical training after completing their studies. If approved, they are allowed one month of practical training for every four months of completed study, with a maximum of six months total practical training time.


Useful phone numbers

Got a question or complaint?
Call 529-4773, fax 529-4750, or write to Kokua Line,
Honolulu Star-Bulletin, 500 Ala Moana Blvd., No. 7-210,
Honolulu 96813. As many as possible will be answered.
E-mail to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2003 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --