Friday, December 6, 2002

David Wiley was hugged yesterday by Hawaii Mothers Against Drunk Driving President Yvonne Nelson as his daughter, Kayla Wiley, looked on. Kayla lost her mother, Lorrie-Ann Wiley, to a drunken driver.

Bars agree to settle suit
over 2001 DUI fatality

By Rosemarie Bernardo

Two bars have agreed to pay $1 million to the family of 32-year-old Lorrie-Ann Wiley, who was killed in a 2001 traffic crash.

A 19-year-old motorist responsible for Wiley's death was served alcoholic drinks at Venus Nite Club and Pachinko Karaoke before the Jan. 2, 2001, crash.

"The bars really have to take a good look at who they're serving, 'cause this absolutely should not have occurred," said attorney Richard Fried, who represents the Wiley family.

Fried spoke at a news conference yesterday about the settlement between the Wiley family and insurance companies for the two bars. Wiley's husband, David, their 7-year-old daughter, Kayla, and Yvonne Nelson, president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving-Hawaii State Chapter, also attended.

Doo Sun Yoo, owner of the two bars, and his attorney could not be reached for comment.

According to Fried, employees at both bars failed to check whether Kam Williams met the legal age limit to consume alcohol.

At about 11:30 p.m. on Jan. 1, 2001, Williams had at least three Long Island ice teas while at Venus Nite Club, each of which has four to five ounces of liquor, Fried said. Later, he went to Pachinko Karaoke where employees served him several beers.

An eyewitness had observed Williams as "so intoxicated that he was basically unable to stand," Fried said. Williams left the bar sometime about 4 a.m.

Wiley was driving on Kalanianaole Highway at about 5:30 a.m. Jan. 2 when her car was struck by a vehicle driven by Williams. The head-on collision occurred near Olomana Golf Course. Wiley was on her way to work for the Hawaii Air National Guard at Hickam Air Force Base.

According to Fried, Williams' blood alcohol level was about 0.24 percent, or three times the legal limit, at the time of the collision.

Coping with the loss of his wife nearly two years after she died, David Wiley said: "The best I could do is concentrate on Kayla for the most part. She's everything right now. ... That gets me through a lot of hard times."

At the time of the collision, Williams' license had been suspended for a November 2000 DUI petty misdemeanor conviction.

Williams' attorney, Jonathan Burge, said Williams wants to apologize to David Wiley and his family.

Burge said plans are being made to schedule a meeting between Williams and Wiley.

But Wiley said: "His apology, for me, would be a bit hollow. ... It's a little too late."

On Nov. 8, Williams pleaded guilty in Circuit Court to manslaughter. His sentencing is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Jan. 24 before Circuit Judge Michael Town.

E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin --