Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Wednesday, June 19, 2002

Shark signs removed after whale cleanup ends

With the last remnants of a dead sperm whale head removed, shark warning signs posted on the Kualoa-Kaaawa beaches were taken down yesterday.

The last remains of the head that washed ashore on the beach were taken away at 3:30 p.m. Monday, according to the Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Those three pieces of blubber weighed about 200 to 300 pounds, according to Jeff Walters, co-manager of the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary.

"The threat from sharks is now considered to be no greater than normal," Walters said in a news release.

Removing about 10,000 pounds of whale and burying it on nearby Kualoa Ranch required the joint efforts of the Department of Land and Natural Resources, the City and County of Honolulu, National Marine Fisheries Service, the ranch and at least two private veterinarians, Walters said.

Renting a 20-ton crane to move the whale cost about $7,000 and was paid for mostly with federal sanctuary funds, he said.

The whale's bones may be exhumed, cleaned and displayed in a year or more, he added.


Water service investigator Clive Kuwata, left, and Water Service Supervisor Wayne Tello surveyed a crater yesterday on School Street near Pali Highway. A 12-inch main broke about 6 a.m. and flooded the westbound lanes of the H-1 freeway below, snarling traffic.

State probes 3 green sea turtle killings

KAPAA, Hawaii >> State wildlife officials are investigating the death of three endangered green sea turtles found slaughtered on Kauai.

The remains of the turtles were found over the weekend at Moloaa Beach. Authorities have no suspects.

"Someone killed and butchered at least two adult green sea turtles." said Don Heacock of the state Department of Land and Natural Resources. "It looks like the third one was killed, but they never had time to process it. They left it for dead."

Heacock said the turtles were "definitely butchered for their meat."

The turtles were also believed to have been nesting when they were killed.

Killing green sea turtles is a state and federal offense with fines up to $25,000 and a year in prison per turtle.


Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Managing Editor Frank Bridgewater at 529-4791 or email him at

Police, Fire, Courts


By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers


Stolen Hickam tractor has police on lookout

CrimeStoppers, the Honolulu Police Department, and Hickam Law Enforcement are asking the public's assistance in identifying the suspect or suspects who stole a Caterpillar IT tractor from Hickam Air Force Base. Police said the theft took place between May 29 and last Wednesday.

According to police, there is only one other "IT" model on Oahu. The 1999 Caterpillar backhoe-loader, Model 416C IT, is valued at $54,000. An accessory kit with a removable forklift attachment and four additional backhoe buckets were also stolen.

Anyone with information about the location of the stolen tractor should call Investigator Rodney Lambert through the Hickam Law Enforcement Desk at 449-6373 or 449-6372. Anonymous calls will also be taken at CrimeStoppers at 955-8300 or *CRIME on a cellular phone.

Fender bender slows Ward theft suspect

Police arrested a theft suspect Monday after his getaway car was slowed by a car in front of him.

Police said a 33-year-old Waianae man was attempting to flee from security officers at Ward Centre, but his exit from the parking lot onto Auahi Street was blocked by a vehicle driven by a 30-year-old woman. Police said the man rammed his car into the rear of the woman's vehicle once then continued to strike it in traffic.

Ward security officers were able to stop the man and held him until police arrived.

6 Japanese allegedly bilked by translator

Police arrested a 33-year-old Kahala man Monday for theft and money laundering for allegedly emptying the bank accounts of six Japanese nationals.

Police said the man served as the victims' translator when they opened their bank accounts.

Within months, he had withdrawn more than $200,000 from their accounts without their permission, police said.


17-year-old girl dies after Big Island crash

HILO >> A 17-year-old girl died at Queen's Medical Center Monday following a one-car accident in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on Saturday.

The victim and another girl, 16, were passengers in a car driven by a woman, 18, heading toward Hilo at 11:45 p.m. in rainy weather near the park entrance, the park said. None of their names were released.

E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin