CLICK TO SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

Starbulletin.com


Tuesday, May 28, 2002



County says Maui building
occupied early


Associated Press

WAILUKU >> Maui County building officials have issued a violation against the Main Street Promenade building.

County officials say some employees have moved in before a certificate of occupancy has been issued. About 25 employees from the 2nd Circuit Court and the state Probation Office moved into their new offices in the building earlier this month.

Herman Ling, an attorney for building owner Robert Joslin, says the building is safe and that the only work now being performed is to reinforce the structure to meet recommendations for earthquake and hurricane threats.

He says some last-minute issues prevented a certificate of occupancy from being granted May 13, when the Probation Office began moving in. The first violation notice was given May 16, with follow-up notices issued last Thursday and Friday.

Melvin Arakawa, a court administrator, is awaiting clarification of the nature of the violations. If safety was an issue, he does not think the county would have allowed workers to stay in the building, he said.



E-mail to City Desk

BACK TO TOP


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]



© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com