CLICK TO SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

Starbulletin.com



Newswatch


Newswatch
Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Tuesday, January 8, 2002


Downed line knocks out power to 400 in Kaneohe

About 400 Hawaiian Electric Co. customers in Kaneohe were without power for nearly six hours last night after a power line fell off a utility pole.

The power line fell about 10:30 p.m. last night near the State Hospital in Kaneohe when the connector that holds the line on the pole broke, said Fred Kobashikawa, HECO spokesman. Repair crews replaced the line and restored power to affected customers at about 4 a.m. today, he said.

HECO officials are investigating what caused the connector to break.

Group meets on proposed quarantine rule changes

The Community Quarantine Reform Coalition was scheduled to meet at 4:30 p.m. today at the Hawaiian Humane Society to discuss final proposed changes to Hawaii's pet quarantine regulations.

The coalition, formed last April, is advocating a new quarantine method that includes microchip identification, vaccinations and a follow-up blood test.

Couple in wedding scam get 5 years' probation

A Black Point couple found guilty of soliciting Japanese nationals for money to invest in a wedding business here but using some of the money for their personal benefit were both sentenced to five years' probation and ordered to pay $865,000 in restitution.

Jena and Norikazu Nakamichi were also ordered to pay $20,000 each to the Crime Victims Compensation fund within four years.

Circuit Judge Marie Milks also denied Norikazu Nakamichi's request yesterday to defer his no-contest plea to first-degree theft, which would have enabled him to wipe the conviction off his record if he complied with the court's conditions.

The Nakamichis are accused of approaching three Japanese nationals to invest in their wedding business with the promise of a profit.

On two occasions, Jena Nakamichi promised "green cards" to two of them.

She allegedly told them she had contacts with Immigration.

UPW chief and daughter plead innocent to fraud

United Public Workers head Gary Rodrigues and daughter Robin Haunani Rodrigues Sabatini both pleaded not guilty yesterday in U.S. District Court to charges of fraud, embezzlement and kickbacks in connection with the union's health benefit plans.

The two are scheduled for trial Jan. 23 on charges filed in a March 2001 indictment accusing Rodrigues of defrauding UPW members by negotiating contracts in which members paid inflated fees for dental and health-care benefits.

Payments were allegedly made to Sabatini for consulting work she allegedly did not do.

Rodrigues is seeking to dismiss a kickback charge included in a 102-count superseding indictment filed last month.


Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Managing Editor Frank Bridgewater at 529-4791 or email him at fbridgewater@starbulletin.com.






Police, Fire, Courts

Police/Fire

By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers

Honolulu

Man arrested in shooting of woman in November

A 33-year-old Kapahulu man was arrested yesterday in connection with the shooting of a 26-year-old woman Nov. 10 outside his home.

Police said the woman, her brother and other people went to a home on Brokaw Street to collect on a loan. An argument erupted, and the suspect emerged from the back of the house with a shotgun.

Police said the victims ran from the house and got into their vehicle.

The suspect shot into the vehicle, striking the woman in the eye.

Police said the man was later identified and arrested yesterday at the home.

Victim in New Year's car crash is identified

The city Medical Examiner's Office identified a woman who died after a two-car collision New Year's Eve as Carol Smith of Redmond, Ore.

Smith, 60, died Friday at Queen's Medical Center.

She had been a passenger in a sport utility vehicle when it struck another vehicle and hit the median near the Punahou Street overpass on the H-1 freeway at about 10 p.m.

Police said the victim was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the collision.





E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]



© 2002 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com