Star-Bulletin Sports

Saturday, November 24, 2001


Kahuku's Travis Kaka recovers a Red Raider fumble. The Red
Raiders, who turned the ball over five times, beat Waimea 21-7
in a state football semifinal.

Kahuku’s defense
stifles Waimea

The Red Raiders hold the Menehunes
to 87 yards to reach the state finals again

By Jerry Campany

Two weeks ago, Kahuku showcased Mulivai Pula and its running game against Aiea.

Last week, it broke out quarterback Inoke Funaki and the passing game on Lahainaluna.

Last night, defense propelled Kahuku to its third straight state championship appearance against St. Louis, a 49-7 winner over Kailua.

Kahuku quarterback Inoke Funaki takes off in front of Waimea's
Chris Soto and Brandon Malama. Kahuku had a 13-0 lead at
halftime and went on to win 21-7.

Kahuku's defense shut out Waimea in a 21-7 win in the semifinals of the Chevron State Football Championships at Aloha Stadium. Waimea's seven points were scored by its defense.

"Credit the defense," Kahuku coach Siuaki Livai said. "Others may think that our defense is overshadowed (by the offense), but we know that the defense is why we are in the game."

With Pula sitting out all but 54 seconds of the first half because Kahuku wanted to rest him for the final, the Red Raiders defense forced the Menehune offense into three-and-outs on every offensive possession in the first half, except for the ones when Waimea quick-kicked after two plays. The Menehunes turned this trick three times in the game.

State football

Kahuku 21, Waimea 7
St. Louis 49, Kailua 7

Nov. 30
Championship: St. Louis vs. Kahuku, 7:30 p.m.

Kahuku held Waimea to a state semifinals record of 87 total yards and four first downs.

"We tried our best," Waimea coach Jon Kobayashi said. "Kahuku is just a better team and took it to us tonight."

Kahuku's defense held Waimea without a single yard on five pass attempts and only 49 yards on the ground in the first half. Waimea's defense was equally tough until the Red Raiders put together an 85-yard drive. It was capped off when Funaki split Waimea defenders Dane Koga and Kyle Yokoyama for a 24-yard touchdown pass to Ferron Fonoimoana.

Waimea continued to hold Kahuku until the final drive of the first half, when Funaki took advantage of a questionable pass interference call by buying time and beating Waimea defenders Chesley Barba and Rayson Cacal with a 22-yard strike to Fonoimoana with no time left on the clock.

Waimea's offense did not show up until its first possession of the second half, when it earned its first first down and completed its first pass. That drive ended on an interception by Ioane Brown, one of three turnovers committed by the Menehunes. Kahuku was forced into five turnovers, but its defensive dominance bailed it out.

The Menehunes' Gary Mata recorded a game-high 15 tackles, including four for losses. Kahuku set a semifinals' record by fumbling eight times. They lost four of those.

At Aloha Stadium

Waimea (8-2) 0 0 0 7 -- 7

Kahuku (13-0) 0 13 8 0 -- 21

Kah -- Ferron Fonoimoana 24 pass from Inoke Funaki (Solomon Lee kick)
Kah -- Fonoimoana 22 pass from Funaki (kick failed)
Kah -- Mulivai Pula 11 run (Jonathan Mapu pass from Funaki)
Waim -- Rayson Cacal 27 interception return (Adrian Agan kick)

Rushing -- Waimea: Chesley Barba 7-12, Jordon Dizon 4-21, Agan 1-0, Timmy Chang Wo 12-54, Cacal 3-(-1), Bandon Malama 1-0, Jon Palacio 1-(-7). Kahuku: Funaki 10-129, Pula 9-63, Earvin Atuaia 6-18, F. Fonoimoana 2-5, Kimo Leung-Chio 8-75, Travis Kaka 4-12, Hans Fonoimoana 2-7.

Passing -- Waimea: Agan 1-7-1-6, Palacio 0-2-0-0, Chang Wo 0-2-1-0. Kahuku: Funaki 8-19-1-162.

Receiving -- Waimea: Chang Wo 1-6. Kahuku: Kaka 1-4, James Kammerer 1-27, Benjamin Chase 3-75, F. Fonoimoana 3-56.

Hawaii School Web Sites

E-mail to Sports Editor

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]

© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin