CLICK TO SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS

Starbulletin.com



Newswatch


Newswatch
Police, Fire, Courts

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Thursday, September 20, 2001


Remember 9-11-01


The latest developments

Developments related to last week's terrorist attacks:

Associated Press

>> Islamic clerics urge terrorist suspect Osama bin Laden to voluntarily leave Afghanistan. White House rejects the move and demands action. Clerics also say they are prepared to call for a holy war against the United States if U.S. troops attack.

>> By air and sea, the United States and Britain build military presence in the Persian Gulf. Britain plans joint exercise with Oman, its largest naval deployment since the 1982 Falklands War.

>> Army Secretary Thomas White says Army is ready to conduct sustained land combat operations.

>> Stocks fall sharply on fears of economic repercussions, with Dow dipping below 8,500 for first time in nearly three years.

>> Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan tells Congress the attacks produced significant drop in economic activity, but says long-term prospects remain strong.

>> President Bush asks Congress to give airlines $5 billion in cash and help with any lawsuits filed against them.

>> FBI says Nabil Al-Marabh, 34, who is wanted for questioning in the attacks, captured in Burbank, Ill. The FBI had raided Detroit house with Al-Marabh's name on the mailbox and arrested three men after finding false visas and passports and what appears to be diagram of airport flight line.

>> New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani says some victims in wreckage of World Trade Center may never be found.

>> The president of the International Olympic Committee is granted emergency powers, including the ability to cancel next year's Winter Games in Salt Lake City.

>> Federal transportation officials tell Congress that additional security measures are planned at airports.

Organizers reschedule patriotic rally to Sept. 29

Organizers have rescheduled the Stand Up for America March and Rally to Sept. 29.

The march is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m. at the east end of Magic Island and will wind down at the Waikiki Shell, where the rally will begin about 11:30 a.m.

The event, which had been originally scheduled for this weekend, will pay tribute to the victims and families of last Tuesday's attacks and will show a united American stand.

Organizer Mike Gabbard said the event was postponed because the overwhelming response from those interested in participating made the march and rally more difficult to organize.

Those interested in participating should call 537-6231.

Mail service delay affects deliveries to state courts

The temporary ban on commercial air transportation stemming from last week's hijackings has resulted in delays in postal or other delivery services to the state courts.

Chief Justice Ronald Moon has ordered that any items mailed to the courts for filing between Sept. 10 and Oct. 11 will be filed on the date they were postmarked or turned over to a carrier.



Councilman recall effort falls short on signatures

An effort to have City Councilman Andy Mirikitani recalled from office has fallen short. Moiliili resident Kekoa Kaapu said only about 3,000 signatures have been obtained from registered voters in the 5th District, which includes Manoa, Makiki and Ala Moana.

City clerks told Kaapu he needed to get 4,218 valid signatures, 10 percent of the of registered voters in the district when the last Council election was held in 1998.

The effort also needed to have those signatures obtained within 60 days, a period that lapsed Monday.

In July a federal court jury found Mirikitani guilty of receiving kickbacks from aides to whom he gave bonuses. He has remained in office while awaiting a Dec. 4 sentencing date, at which point he would likely be removed.



Corrections and clarifications

>> In a display quote in a story yesterday, Gini Kapali, director of the Kauai County Office of Economic Development, was incorrectly identified as director of the Kauai Economic Development Board, a private nonprofit organization.

>> In a report on the making of kulolo Friday, the story and a photo caption incorrectly identified Joe Siobal as Alex Harris.


Corrections and clarifications

The Honolulu Star-Bulletin strives to make its news report fair and accurate. If you have a question or comment about news coverage, call Publisher and Editor in Chief John Flanagan at 529-4748 or email him at jflanagan@starbulletin.com.






Police, Fire, Courts

Police/Fire

By Star-Bulletin staff



Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers



Mililani woman dies in single car crash

A 45-year-old Mililani woman died this morning in a one-car traffic accident in Mililani. Police said the woman was driving south on Kamehameha Highway about 1:20 a.m. when she failed to negotiate a curve in the roadway about 1,000 feet south of the Lanikuhana Avenue intersection.

Her car went onto the shoulder of the roadway and flipped over ejecting the woman from the car, police said. She died at the scene. Police said the woman was not wearing a seatbelt. They have not determined whether speed or alcohol use were factors in the accident.

Police closed the highway while they investigated the crash and reopened it at 5:23 a.m.

Victim ID'd in Kapolei pedestrian accident

The Medical Examiner's Office has identified the 67-year-old Makakilo woman killed by a pickup truck while crossing the street in Kapolei Tuesday night as Hathaway Decierdo.

Police said Decierdo was not in a crosswalk on Kamokila Boulevard when the truck struck her as it changed lanes.

Kalihi man in custody for two stabbings overnight

An 18-year-old Kalihi man was arrested on two counts of attempted murder this morning for two stabbings at his apartment just after midnight. Police said two Kalihi men, ages 21 and 18, got into a fight with the suspect at his Alokele Street apartment. The 21-year-old man was stabbed in the back of his head and the 18-year-old victim received two stab wounds to his body, police said.

Both victims went to separate hospitals for treatment.

The 21-year-old victim is in stable condition at Kaiser Permanente Moanalua Clinic after undergoing surgery. The 18-year-old victim is in guarded condition at Queen's Medical Center. Police arrested the suspect at his apartment at 5 a.m.

He was taken to Queen's where he was treated for injuries he suffered in the fight then released back to police.





E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]



© 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com