Photographs often are the best way to show dramatic changes in Hawaii, providing an easy update on landmarks, persons and events. At other times, however, photos showing minimal changes during the years remind us that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Look for examples of big and little changes every Monday in "It's about time," which will inform, update and prod a few memories.
A new two-acre park is scheduled to be completed this summer on what for years was a parking lot/maintenance facility. The site of the old Pawaa Annex of the Honolulu Police Department is being turned into Pawaa Park.
Above is a view of the park area in 1959.
TheBus then was known as HRT (Honolulu Rapid Transit), and Sears had not yet moved to what then was a brand-new Ala Moana Center. HPD moved into the old Sears building in 1961 and was housed there for more than 30 years. In 1992, police moved into new headquarters several blocks Ewa on Beretania Street. The old station subsequently was leveled and replaced by high-rise condos.
Above, an aerial view from 1959 shows some things have not changed in four decades. The old Sears/HPD is at left center, with Pawaa Park going up by the parking lot just below. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) remains, as does the curved three-story building just below and to its right at the corner of Beretania and Kalakaua Avenue. Left of the church is Foodland Super Market, which built its Beretania Street store in 1950.