Former state Sen. Marshall Ige's criminal trial over alleged campaign spending violations has been rescheduled to March 27, a state judge ruled today.
Ige campaign spending
trial set for March 27
Circuit Judge Sandra Simms also granted Ige's request for a nonjury trial in District Court.
The original trial date was Feb. 5.
Mike McCarthy, Ige's attorney, said the recent negative publicity against Ige in the local media would make it difficult to select an unbiased jury.
In a seven-count complaint filed last year, the state attorney general's office charged Ige failed to report campaign contributions, failed to disclose campaign debts and accepted an improper campaign loan.
The allegations stem from the state's investigation of the Kamehameha Schools.
Ige, who lost his Windward Oahu senate seat last year, has pleaded not guilty to the misdemeanor charges and has complained that the state is unfairly targeting him to justify its costly investigation of the Kamehameha Schools.
Earlier this month, the state filed a separate, five-count criminal complaint against Ige, accusing him of theft, extortion, money laundering and attempted tax evasion.
The allegations stem from a $30,000 payment from an elderly Beverly Hills couple.
McCarthy said that Ige, who plans to plead not guilty to the felony charges, has repaid most of the money. McCarthy added that the new allegations involve a civil dispute and should not be a subject of criminal charges.
Bishop Estate Archive