Advertisement - Click to support our sponsors.


Starbulletin.com


Friday, September 1, 2000


Star-Bulletin closing

Offers received
for Star-Bulletin

The broker declines to
name the bidders



Star-Bulletin

Newspaper broker Dirks Van Essen & Murray announced late this morning that bids have been received on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

The deadline to make an offer on the 118-year-old newspaper in the court-supervised sale is 4 p.m. Mountain Standard Time today -- noon in Hawaii.

In a terse news release, lead broker Phil Murray said: "Offers for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin have been received. The process will continue. No further information will be released."

Meanwhile, Kauai publisher Peter McClaran and former U.S. Congressman Cecil Heftel were expected to submit a joint bid later today.

McClaran said he was advised by Murray that the noon Hawaii deadline will not be strictly enforced.

Canadian newspaper publisher David Black, owner of Victoria, B.C.-based Black Press Ltd., confirmed earlier this week that he planned to submit a bid on the Star-Bulletin.

Windward auto dealer Mike McKenna's group has pulled out, saying they needed more time to prepare a bid.

ESOP Star-Bulletin, a majority of the newspaper's editorial employees, said it also plans to submit a proposal today.

Federal Magistrate Barry Kurren has set a Sept. 15 deadline to review bids and approve a buyer for the afternoon newspaper.



Bulletin closing archive





E-mail to Business Editor


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]



© 2000 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com