Advertisement - Click to support our sponsors.


Starbulletin.com


Tuesday, June 27, 2000




Judge denies delay
in trustees trial

Both the state and former
Bishop Estate trustees
wanted a delay

By Rick Daysog
Star-Bulletin

Tapa

A state judge denied a request for a one-year trial delay in the attorney general's suit for multi-million dollar surcharges against the former Kamehameha Schools trustees.

Probate Judge Kevin Chang said that none of the parties would be harmed by the scheduled Sept. 18 trial date and that a postponement would not be in the best interest of the trust.

Chang said that the Sept. 18 trial, before Circuit Judge Eden Elizabeth Hifo, would bring closure to Kamehameha Schools, which has been surrounded by controversy for the past three years.

Delaying the trial, Chang added, would add costs to an already expensive proceeding.

The attorney general's office asked for the one-year delay, citing lack of cooperation from the trust's current interim board of trustees. The state has alleged that former trustees Henry Peters, Richard "Dickie" Wong, Oswald Stender, Gerard Jervis and Lokelani Lindsey took excessive compensation, mismanaged the Kamehameha Schools and incurred more than $200 million in losses.

The former trustees -- who also asked for a one-year delay -- have denied wrongdoing, saying the trust had been well-managed under their tenures.



Bishop Estate Archive



E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Feedback]



© 2000 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com