Senate urges Star-Bulletin
owner to keep publishing
See also: No news is good newsStar-Bulletin staff
in the Editorial section
The state Senate is urging the owner of the Honolulu Star-Bulletin to continue publishing the afternoon newspaper.
"Having the afternoon paper provides an opportunity for another editorial viewpoint and the perspective of activities that are going on in the community beyond just a single viewpoint," said Sen. Avery Chumbley (D, Kihei).
A Senate resolution urges Liberty Newspapers Limited Partnership, owner of the Star-Bulletin, to cease efforts to terminate the current joint operating agreement with the Honolulu Advertiser and to actively seek a buyer.
The resolution says in part that "closure of the Star-Bulletin will silence an important competing reportorial and editorial voice in the state of Hawaii and the City and County of Honolulu."
Certified copies with the signatures of 21 senators will be sent to Liberty Newspapers LP, Gannett Pacific Corp. and the Justice Department.
Liberty announced last year it would cease publication of the Star-Bulletin on Oct. 30. Acting on a state lawsuit, U.S. District Judge Alan Kay issued a preliminary injunction on Oct. 13 that stopped the $26.5 million closing agreement. The case is set for trial on Sept. 19.
Sen. Les Ihara (D, Kaimuki) said, "To have diversity of editorial voices and to encourage competition will foster better reporting."
Bulletin closing archive