Starbulletin.com



Newswatch


Newswatch

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Wednesday, November 24, 1999


She said yes!


By Ken Ige, Star-Bulletin
Jerry Russo, aboard the USS Crommelin, took a chance with
this sign as the ship approached Pearl Harbor. The bottom
part of the sign was unrolled after Rose Caamic
answered in the affirmative.



Uyesugi goes on trial May 15

Circuit Judge Richard Perkins this morning scheduled May 15, 2000, as the start of the trial for Byran Uyesugi.

Uyesugi, 40, is charged with the Nov. 2 shooting deaths of seven co-workers at the Xerox building on Nimitz Highway.

He has been held without bail since he surrendered to police later that day.

The city Prosecuting Attorney's Office had sought a March trial date, saying the trial should not be delayed because of the large number of witnesses expected to be called.

Defense attorneys had asked for a May date.

The shooting was the worst multiple murder in Hawaii's history.

Art

Gov says New Year's fireworks should be last

Gov. Ben Cayetano hopes the millennium New Year's Eve celebration will be the last of Oahu's traditional fireworks orgies because of the problems the smoke causes for people with respiratory problems, he said yesterday.

It needs to end because it's hurting people with asthma, emphysema and other ailments, and because the state could face a lawsuit, he said.

The governor said he'll continue pressing the Legislature to ban the private use of fireworks, which last New Year's Eve choked much of Oahu in thick clouds of acrid smoke.

"You can't escape it on this island unless maybe you go up to the Pali or something and hang out there until the smoke blows away," he said.

If "the madness" of fireworks use is allowed to continue, it's just a matter of time before someone brings a class-action lawsuit against the state, Cayetano said.

"We've gotten too big now to continue to do this," he said. "We are the only city of our size, I think, in the country that allows this kind of celebration to happen on New Year's Eve."

The governor said he has repeatedly warned lawmakers about the potential of such a lawsuit, yet they haven't listened.

"All you can do is warn them, and if they don't listen, what can you do?" he said.

The state House and Senate deadlocked on the issue earlier this year.

The Senate wanted a statewide ban as of Jan. 2, while the House wanted restrictions on the amount of fireworks an individual can buy.

Yoshimura resigns from KHON-TV job

City Council Chairman Jon Yoshimura has resigned his position as KHON-TV's community affairs director, saying the extra demands of leading the Council are taking up much of his time.

Yoshimura, an attorney and former television reporter and photographer, had been hired by KHON as a part-time, $20,000-a-year employee to handle the station's routine legal business with the Federal Communications Commission. He left the post about a month ago. Critics on the Council said holding the position while serving on the Council put Yoshimura in an awkward position. Yoshimura was named chairman after taking the TV job.





Police, Fire, Courts

Police/Fire

By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers

1-year-old infant girl's injuries seem suspicious

Police are investigating a possible child abuse case after doctors reported suspicious injuries to a 1-year-old girl.

Doctors told investigators the girl's injuries were not consistent with what the girl's mother told them, police said.

The mother reported her daughter accidentally closed the door on her own hand Saturday, and the injury did not seem to be healing. But police said doctors determined the injury was caused by a "liquid burn."

The girl also had other injuries that were inconsistent with the mother's claims, doctors told police. Detectives discovered the girl was also treated for a skull fracture a few months earlier.

The mother took her daughter to a doctor after she returned to Oahu from visiting her boyfriend in Kihei, Maui, this week, police said.

The case is being investigated as a felony assault. No arrests have been made.

Man takes cash register from Waianae Market

Police are searching for a man who robbed the Waianae Market of its cash register by gunpoint last night.

The suspect entered the store at 85-810 Farrington Highway at about 11 p.m. and held up the clerk, police said.

After demanding the money, he fired one round into the counter, then grabbed the cash register and ran away, police said.






E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com