Starbulletin.com


Thursday, November 11, 1999



Bomb threat empties
Oceanic Cable building

By Susan Kreifels
Star-Bulletin

Tapa

An anonymous bomb threat called to Oceanic Cable yesterday morning prompted company officials to evacuate the building for about a half-hour while employees volunteered to check the building, a company spokesman said.

Staff members were given the option to leave work for the rest of the day if they felt uncomfortable, said Oceanic spokesman Kit Beuret.

Last week, company officials filed for a court injunction against a terminated employee who had threatened them with physical harm, including a recent voice message that alluded to the seven slayings at the Xerox building earlier in the week.

Beuret said he had heard of bomb threats called to other companies in the area and didn't know if the call to Oceanic was connected to threats the company has received from the former employee, who was terminated several years ago. Beuret said he was not aware of any employees leaving work early yesterday, and believed tensions were no higher at his company than other businesses since seven men were fatally shot at Xerox, allegedly by a co-worker.

Last night, the company's customer service line still played a voice message saying the building had been evacuated due to a security emergency and that Oceanic was working with a "very minimal staff," so answers were delayed.

The company sent a memo to remind the approximately 200 employees at the company's office in the Mililani Technology Park to use worker entrances and wear ID badges. Security was increased "moderately," Beuret said.

"We don't want employees to be worried. This is a happy, friendly place," he said.



E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com