Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Thursday, November 4, 1999

Suggestions ‘for
a perfect dog day’

Question: At a little beach at the bottom of Puuikena Drive, makai of Hawaii Loa Ridge, there are always people who allow their dogs to just cruise and poop on the beach or grass. If the owners were more responsible, it wouldn't be such a problem. Is there some way that the Humane Society can let owners know they should watch their dogs and clean up after them?

Answer: One thing the Hawaiian Humane Society recommends is to first try approaching the owner of a wayward dog in a friendly manner, said spokeswoman Eve Holt.

That could mean offering a plastic bag to pick up the poop.

In fact, this is such a common problem that the HHS recently printed up cards, about the size of business cards, "intended for people to use if they see people who are not totally responsible" for their dogs, Holt said.

The front of the card says "Mahalo for being a good neighbor." Inside, it suggests six ways "for a perfect dog day":

Bullet Keep your dog under control and on leash when off your property.

Bullet Carry plastic bags and clean up after your dog.

Bullet Respect others who may not want your dog too close to them or their belongings.

Bullet Take care around children who may not know how to greet dogs or may be afraid of them.

Bullet Allow your dog to approach another dog only after an OK from the dog's owner.

Bullet Stay in areas where there are fewer people.

Cards are available from the HHS, 2700 Waialae Ave., 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday. Or call 946-2187.

Holt pointed out that you can call police or the HHS if the dog is off-leash, since dogs are supposed to be on leashes except in designated parks. However, she notes the response may depend on other demands on both police and animal investigators.

As for pooping, Holt said the Department of Health is responsible for sanitation concerns.

Q: Why can't the city trim a tree on Hoomalu Street or dig it up? The tree trunk is as wide as the easement it's on and is lifting the pavement up six to eight inches. It's a hazard to walkers and joggers. We've called the tree trimming section, but nothing is done.

A: City tree trimmers, employed by the Department of Parks and Recreation, wouldn't be the ones making the work order.

Anything having to do with a tree damaging a sidewalk should be directed to the city's Housing Code Section, said George Souza of the city Department of Customer Services. That section houses the sidewalk inspection crew.

A sidewalk inspector has verified the damage and said a work order would be issued for repairs.

In the future, call 527-6308 with sidewalk complaints.

Q: Regarding refunds for the canceled Hawaiian Super Prix race, I charged my tickets to my Visa account. They said refunds would be made by checks, but I prefer that my credit card account be credited. Is that possible?

A: We called Ticket Plus, which is handling refunds, and was told that payments are being made only by check because that is the fastest way to settle the matter.

Call 526-4411 for information.


To people with car alarms that seem to go off mostly by mistake. They go off and on all over the place -- in the middle of the night, outside church. Nobody pays any attention to them, including the owners! -- Nancy L.

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin