Starbulletin.com



Newswatch


Newswatch

By Star-Bulletin Staff

Thursday, October 14, 1999


Man dies after
tussle with police

Police have begun an internal affairs investigation into the death of a 40-year-old man who died after a struggle with officers.

However, police say at this time foul play is not suspected.

Two officers responded to a man behaving oddly and threatening people on Park Street at 1:15 p.m., police said.

The man appeared to be "agitated and hallucinating," police said. He allegedly attacked an officer and resisted arrest.

He was subdued with "minimal force," handcuffed and placed into the squad car. The officers said they used an arm lock and no weapons.

About a minute into the ride, he was unresponsive and not breathing.

The officer stopped the car and administered CPR. The man was taken to St. Francis Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 2:30 p.m.

The case was listed as an "unattended death" by police.

This is not the first time this year that a man has died after a struggle with police. In March, a 28-year-old Kailua man died after being restrained by two patrol officers.

Millennium Moments

Millennium special

Home of hops

REMEMBER Primo Beer? How about Royal Beer? If so, you probably know about that red-brick building in Kakaako, just makai of Kawaiahao Church.

The Royal Brewery building was the original home of those beers under its official name, the Honolulu Brewing and Malting Co., according to "Stepping Into Time: A Guide to Honolulu's Historic Landmarks" by Jeannette Murray Peek.

Believed to be the oldest brewery in Hawaii, the Queen Street building -- with its three-story brick arches -- is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Buildings. It was built in 1900, and operated into the late 1960s.

The brewery complex was owned by American Brewing Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of C.Q. Yee Hop & Co. Ltd.

In addition to the existing 80-foot structure, there also was a two-story bottling house and an ice-making plant, Peek says.

The brewery was renovated four years ago, part of a $28 million project that included housing. But a pervasive odor from termite-treated wood forced the Kakaako Senior and Community Center to leave the site last year.

Tapa

Peters fails to show at scheduled deposition

Ousted Bishop Estate trustee Henry Peters failed to show up for his scheduled deposition this morning.

Earlier this week, court-appointed discovery master Clyde Matsui ordered Peters to appear for a deposition to answer questions relating to the Dec. 13 trial over the permanent removal of Peters and Richard "Dickie" Wong.

But Peters' attorney, Renee Yuen, argued that her client didn't have to attend the deposition because he recently was taken off the witness list for the trial.

A hearing before Matsui is scheduled for this afternoon.

In August, the Bishop Estate's interim board sued for Peters' and Wong's permanent removal after the Internal Revenue Service threatened to revoke the estate's tax-exempt status. Earlier this year, Probate Judge Kevin Chang removed Peters and Wong on a temporary basis.

Bishop Estate Archive

Entry cards needed to fish when reservoir opens Nov. 6

Catfish anglers, take note.

Saturday, Nov. 6, the state reopens Nuuanu Reservoir No. 4 for weekend channel catfish fishing.

You must first secure a valid state freshwater game fishing license and entry fishing card.

Fishing will continue on successive weekends, Saturdays and Sundays only, until all comers with assigned fishing times have been accommodated.

Entry cards will have dates and times for fishing. Entry will be strictly limited to those with assigned times. Minors must be accompanied by supervising adults. There will be no make-up times or refunds.

Pick up applications for entry cards at the state Department of Land and Natural Resources visitor center/permit counter at 1151 Punchbowl St., Room 130, or from various licensing agents around the state.

Applications will be available through Oct. 22. Deadline for submitting applications is 4 p.m. Oct. 22.

A drawing will be held to assign dates and times.

For further information, call 587-0100.

Agricultural project funds approved

Congress has approved a $5.5 million appropriation to begin construction of the U.S. Pacific Basin Agricultural Research Center in Hilo.

It is among $13.9 million in spending for Hawaii agricultural projects approved by Congress.

The center will serve Guam, American Samoa and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, as well as Hawaii.

Earlier this year the federal government released $4.5 million for planning and design, according to U.S. Sen. Daniel Inouye.

The appropriations bill, which now goes to the president for approval, provides for other Hawaii initiatives, including $1.58 million for tropical aquaculture research and $2.72 million for tropical and subtropical agriculture research.

Funding also will continue efforts to detect and control brown tree snake invasion, develop disease-resistant papaya, assist diversified agriculture in Hawaiian Homesteads land on Molokai, and help former sugar workers and Hawaii's three remaining sugar plantations.

6th Avenue offramp closed this weekend

The 6th Avenue offramp of the Koko Head-bound H-1 freeway will be closed this weekend, according to the state Department of Transportation.

The offramp will close at 9 a.m. tomorrow and reopen Monday at 2 p.m. Crews are repaving the offramp with concrete.

18-member panel will examine cancer issues

A blue ribbon panel to examine and address issues related to reducing cancer in Hawaii will be formed by Gov. Ben Cayetano.

He is to announce the panel at a proclamation signing ceremony tomorrow in the executive chambers.

The panel of 18 cancer survivors and health-care professionals will review information and resources available to cancer patients.

They will also identify barriers preventing access to these resources and recommend improvements.





Police, Fire, Courts

Police/Fire

By Star-Bulletin staff

Honolulu Police Department Crimestoppers

Man allegedly points gun at woman's face

Police arrested and charged a 30-year-old man yesterday for allegedly threatening a woman with a handgun.

Scott K. Watson was charged with first-degree terroristic threatening and firearms offenses, police said. He is being held on $30,000 bail.

Watson allegedly pointed the gun at the woman's face at a Lime Street home on Oct. 5, police said. He then walked outside and fired one round into the air.

He drove off, and was apprehended yesterday, police said.






E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com