Honolulu Star-Bulletin - Kokua Line

Kokua Line

By June Watanabe

Thursday, September 16, 1999

UH goes by traffic
plan for big events

Question: Who is in charge of the traffic flow after the University of Hawaii Wahine volleyball games? What is the reason for the traffic pattern out of the parking structure? Why can't we exit from Dole Street?

Answer: UH has a special events traffic plan for handling major events on campus, said Raymond Shito, manager of parking and transportation services.

The plan is meant to expedite getting vehicles out of the 3,000-stall parking structure and onto city streets as quickly as possible, he said. That means, at a certain point, you cannot choose where to park or what exit to take.

Where you park makes a difference. "Vehicles parked in a certain area of the parking structure will exit from the exit closest to their area" -- either Waialae Gate, Varsity Gate, Dole Gate or the fifth-floor parking ramp to Dole Street, Shito said.

You may be prevented from going out a certain exit by guards who are following a predetermined exit plan, he said.

But even if you are not able to leave through your exit of choice, the belief is, once off campus, you "will save time, in the long run, in getting home," Shito said.

Regarding exits to Dole Street: Vehicles parked near the entrance/exit at the Ewa end of the parking structure normally will be directed to Dole Street. Also, cars parked on the upper levels -- the fourth and fifth floors -- may be directed out onto Dole.

If you're parked on one of the lower levels, you won't be allowed out that fifth-level exit, Shito said.

Meanwhile, cars exiting from the middle of the structure may be directed to Varsity Gate. That happens when there is a backup on Dole Street, Shito said.

"During a special event, we have to control where the vehicles go," he said. "If all the (drivers) were allowed to go in the direction they desired, they would create gridlock."

All that said, if you come early enough to choose where to park or leave before crunch time, you can probably decide your own fate, or in this case, gate.

As an aside, Shito said there's also parking available on the upper campus, where exiting might be easier after a big event. The same fee -- $3 -- is charged. Enter and exit through East-West Road or Maile Way.

Q: Who can I call when I see a street light on during daylight hours? Or what about a busted public water sprinkler that is gushing water 30 feet into the air? It seems like we could be saving money and using our resources more efficiently.

A: For street lights on state roads, call 831-6713 during the day or 831-6714 after hours. On city streets, call 523-4281 for street light problems, 523-4831 for traffic lights during regular work hours. After 3 p.m. and weekends, call 911.

Call the Board of Water Supply's hotline, 527-6126, to complain about wasted water.


To the person in my neighborhood who left a note on my front door complaining about my dog. She is old -- we've had her for 11 years -- and I guess you have nothing better to do then complain about her. On top of that, you couldn't even do it in person. Now she is going to be put to sleep and it breaks my heart because I am attending college in Colorado and I have no way of saying goodbye to her. She is my childhood pet and I love her so much. I hope you are satisfied with yourself. -- C.E.

Need help with problems? Call Kokua Line at 525-8686,
fax 525-6711, or write to P.O. Box 3080, Honolulu 96802.
Email to kokualine@starbulletin.com

E-mail to City Desk

Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]

© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin