to start Natatorium
The judge rules that land-basedStar-Bulletin staff
portions of the project
The city can proceed with restoration of the Waikiki War Memorial and Natatorium.
Circuit Judge Gary Won Bae Chang today lifted a temporary restraining order against the city and ruled that the city has received all the necessary permits so far.
Circuit Judge Gail Nakatani had temporarily stopped the city from starting work on the $11.5 million project because a shoreline management permit required issuance of all permits before construction.
The issue centered on the city getting a Health Department permit for the saltwater pool. The department doesn't yet have rules in place for permits to allow swimming in saltwater pools.
But Chang ruled that the land-based portions of the project can proceed. The city can get a permit from the Health Department when it needs to start rehabilitation of the saltwater pool.
Chang said the shoreline management law does not bar the city from peforming the restoration in stages.
Mayor Jeremy Harris said restoration work will start Monday, but canceled work on the saltwater pool and other underwater portions of the project.
The judge's ruling