Starbulletin.com


Tuesday, May 25, 1999




By Ken Sakamoto, Star-Bulletin
Kimberly Pada at court today, where she was sentenced to 20 years.



Pada sentenced to
20 years for beating
son comatose

By Debra Barayuga
Star-Bulletin

Tapa

Kimberly Pada, convicted in March of second-degree attempted murder and abuse for beating her 4-year-old son Reubyne Buentipo Jr. and leaving him comatose, was sentenced today to 20 years in prison, with a mandatory minimum term of six years and eight months.

While convicted of second-degree attempted murder, she was sentenced today for manslaughter because the jury was not unanimous on whether the prosecution had proved beyond a reasonable doubt that she was not suffering from extreme mental or emotional disturbance at the time of the offense.

The state upholds its position that the verdict of manslaughter is invalid, Deputy Prosecutor Dan Oyasato said today after the sentencing. "Obviously, we're very disappointed."

The state will ask the Parole Board that she serve the entire 20 years before she is eligible for parole. Oyasato said the state is exploring whether it has a right to appeal when a jury reaches a verdict and a judge enters a different verdict.

Deputy Public Defender Mary Wong said the sentence was appropriate and she will ask the Parole Board that Pada serve only the mandatory minimum of six years and eight months.

Pada would have faced life in prison with the possibility of parole if she had been sentenced for second-degree murder.

Pada admitted striking him 10 times with her fist on Aug. 31, 1997. The last blow caused him to fall and black out. Reubyne never regained consciousness.



E-mail to City Desk


Text Site Directory:
[News] [Business] [Features] [Sports] [Editorial] [Do It Electric!]
[Classified Ads] [Search] [Subscribe] [Info] [Letter to Editor]
[Stylebook] [Feedback]



© 1999 Honolulu Star-Bulletin
http://archives.starbulletin.com