Grand Prize Winner
Sage Esteban, age 5,
son of Deborah and Patrick Esteban
Five-year-old Sage Esteban is the grand prize winner of the Poison Prevention Week Poster Contest sponsored by the Honolulu Star-Bulletin and Hawaii Poison Center.
The contest's theme was "Children Act Fast - So Do Poisons."
Sage's drawing of a baby that had swallowed poison was an attention-getter, and protecting young children was his first thought when his grandmother, Margaret Hee, decided that he and his sisters should enter the contest.
Sage said it was his mother who warned him against poison. When asked whether he always listens to his mom, Sage answered, "Yes."
And his four sisters? "No."
Sage starts kindergarten in the fall.
Grades 4-6 Category
Ashley Nii, 11, Leihoku Elementary,
daughter of Laurie and Clayton Nii
Winner in the grades 1-3 category is Natasha Fortune Checota. Many of the drawings, like Natasha's, featured older children dashing off to help younger children who had just swallowed poison.
Ashley Nii, winner in the grades 4-6 category, drew a jar of gooey green liquid spilling on a table and four children rushing to call the poison center.
All three winners receive a Borders Books and Music gift certificate, Star-Bulletin Kids Only! T-shirt, Hawaii Poison Center T-shirt and a $50 U.S. Savings Bond. As grand prize winner, Sage will also receive a $100 U.S. Savings Bond. His drawing will be made into a poster for Poison Prevention Week, March 15 to 21.
Selections were made from among 143 drawings submitted through the Star-Bulletin and the DOE's A+ program.
Grades 1-3 Category
Natasha Fortune Checota, 8, Mililani Uka Elementary,
daughter of Donna Fortune-Wong
Remove any remaining substance from the mouth, but do NOT try to induce vomiting, and do NOT have the person eat or drink anything unless advised to do so by medical personnel. Do NOT cause vomiting if someone is unconscious or having convulsions.
What to do in case of poisoning
Do NOT cause vomiting if the poison is a corrosive such as drain cleaner, lye or acid.
Do NOT cause vomiting of petroleum products, such as gasoline or kerosene, unless advised to do so by a doctor.
IN ALL CASES, CALL FOR ADVICE. Doing the wrong thing can cause further injury.
For poisonous gases: Get victim into fresh air and try to maintain respiration until patient can breathe unaided or help arrives.
For poison in eyes: Rinse immediately with water. Remove contact lenses. Hold lids open and flush eyes with water for 10 to 15 minutes. Check with an ophthalmologist before reinserting lenses.
For poison on skins: Remove contaminated clothing. Wash skin thoroughly with water.
For swallowed poison:If patient is unconscious or having a reaction to the substance:
Get him or her to a medical facility. If you have to drive, take someone with you if possible to provide extra assistance.
Take the container that held the poisonous substance.
If the person vomited, take the vomitus. Also take a basin in case vomiting occurs in the car.
If the patient is conscious, get him or her away from the poison.
If medical personnel advise you to induce vomiting, follow these guidelines:
Use ipecac syrup. Do not use salt water. For ages 1 to 10, give one tablespoon (one-half ounce) ipecac syrup, followed by a glass of water. If no vomiting occurs in 15 minutes, repeat dosage one time, followed by another glass of water. For ages 10 and older, give two tablespoons (one ounce) ipecac syrup, followed by two glasses of water. If vomiting does not occur in 15 minutes, give another glass of water and gag by touching back of tongue.
If no vomiting occurs in 30 minutes, call medical personnel again.
Obtain one ounce of ipecac syrup from your pharmacist and keep in your home.
Source: Poison Control Center
The Hawaii Poison Center has available a card printed with the emergency action to take in the event of a poisoning and other important tips. To get a copy, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope the Hawaii Poison Center, 1319 Punahou St., Honolulu HI 96826, or call the Poison Center hotline.